The Pumlumon Challenge
Please note, the 2011 event has been cancelled.
Please contact us if you require more information. Details for the 2012 Challenge will be made available as soon as possible.
The Pumlumon Challenge takes place across the Cambrian Mountains. This area is a wild, deserted plateau with five peaks and the source of the rivers Wye, Rheidol and Severn.
The event starts and finishes at the Nant yr Arian Forestry Centre (Map Ref. SN 717 813) approx. 8 miles east of Aberystwyth on the A44. The route is over the Pumlumon hills passing the source of the Wye and the Severn. Then onto the Hengwm and Hirnant valleys, around Nantymoch dam and more climbs before the finish.
Click on a thumbnail to see a larger picture
Details of the next challenge
The next challenge in the Cambrian Mountain will take place on 1st October 2011.
This area represents a real challenge, and should only be attempted if well prepared. Some refreshments will be available at control points, but it is advisable to carry some as well. Traditional Welsh Cawl will be served at the finish. Overnight Accommodation is available. See the accommodation pages, or use the 'Quick Links' menu button on the right to find somewhere to stay.
The event is open to experienced fell runners and walkers subject to eligibility.
Entries limited to 300 - so get your entry in early.
- Date of main challenge - 1st October 2011
- Length - 27 miles
- Total Ascent over 5500ft
- - Entry Fee - £13.00
- Cheques payable to: Pentir Pumlumon
- Note: Entries Close 24th September 2011
3) Team (3 persons. The time of the last to finish to count.)
Click the link below for a map of the provisional route
Provisional route map
HOW TO ENTER
A. Click here to download the ENTRY FORM and print it. If you have problems downloading / printing, ensure you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed correctly.
B. Write your cheque payable to "Pentir Pumlumon". Entry per person is £13.00. Enclose an SAE for entry confirmation.
C. Send off the completed, signed Application Form with cheque(s) and an SAE to:- Pentir Pumlumon, Pumlumon Challenge, Lisburne House, Pontrhydygroes, Ceredigion. SY25 6DQ
PUMLUMON CHALLENGE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS
These instructions are to be kept by entrant. Please print a copy for reference (printer-friendly version available here)
The following applies: A kit check will be undertaken before signing in at the start with spot checks en-route. The organisers will be empowered to disqualify anyone they consider to be insufficiently equipped. Additionally, entrants are advised to carry food and drink. Entrants should further note that the wearing of jeans is not advised.
1. Entrants must arrive at Nant yr Arian, grid reference SN 717 813 no later than 30 minutes prior to the start.
2. Each entrant will be given a check-card at the start of the challenge which should be handed in at each check-point or punched at unmanned controls.
3. All entrants forced to retire are asked to do so at a check-point, if at all possible. Emergency telephone numbers will be included on your check card.
4. All entrants, including retirees and disqualifications en-route (hopefully none!) must check-in at the finish before leaving for home. Failure to do so will cause the organisers and Rescue Team undue work and worry ensuring you are off the mountain safely.
5. Certificates will be awarded to all finishers.
6. There is public liability insurance in force. The route requirements below are necessary to comply with the Adventure Activities Licensing Regulations 1996.
7. The Entry Form must be signed.
8. Please note that on the day of the challenge, and for safety reasons only, you will be asked for your mobile phone number (if you have one) and the vehicle registration number in which you travelled to this event
Walkers Registration 7.00 am
Walkers start 7.30 am
Runners registration before 9.30 am
Runners start 10.00 am
The organisers will provide a printed map of the route
Maps: OS Explorer sheet 213/214
Minimum equipment comprises compass, torch, whistle, simple first aid kit, pen and pencil. All entrants must wear suitable outdoor clothing, carry waterproof coat and trousers and wear boot/fell shoes.
Eligibility: Participants over 18 years of age may 'Solo' the route. Those between 16 and 18 years must walk in groups of two or more, and those under 16years must be accompanied by two adults, one of whom must be an experienced hill walker.